Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sweets

It's pretty late, so if this it a bit random/filled with rambling I apologize.

The cornucopia of cookies from our housewarming party.
The apples, pears and acorns all had different flavors of rimming sugar on them which made them quite tasty (cosmopolitan, sour apple and chocolate, respectively), and the leaves were painted using amaretto and food coloring, which was yummy but didn't come across as strongly as in previous uses. I still liked the overall presentation of the cookies but wish the cake store had had a grapes cookie cutter like they showed on the Wilton site. And just like last year I think the pumpkins were the plainest ones, but that is completely due to my lack of planning ahead and being awake decorating cookies at 1:00am and not really caring enough at that point to put detailing on them. And somehow I don't think people cared all that much since out of all the cookies in this picture plus a platter of more sugar cookies (6 dozen total maybe?) and a plate of 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies there was only one cookie left at the end of the party. One. I guess nobody wanted to belly up and be the "piggy wiggy" of the cookies as we called it when I was little. The cheese spread, hummus, meatballs and chips and salsa were also all devoured. I actually had to make more hummus so we could finish off the pita we had left over.
(OK, I didn't have to, but really, why let perfectly good pita go to waste?)


These were the Snickerdoodle cupcakes I had at the party.
The frosting was AWESOME. The cupcakes were just OK, and actually a bit on the dry side. I'm sure this was due to the recipe calling for melted butter instead of oil for the cake, which just doesn't really work out well very often. If I make these again I'll likely play around a bit and maybe try using a bit of cinnamon applesauce and oil for the butter to see if that moistens them up a bit.
And another picture of Melanie napping in an odd place.
She's been taking a lot more naps than normal recently. Could we be hitting a growth spurt? Might we actually be in 24-month clothing by the time we're 3? Only time will tell!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Your cookies look awesome, so much talent.

I love the picture of Melanie sleeping under the chair :)

Erika Marie said...

aww, so cute. :) My older brother used to conk out under chairs and tables too.
Alaina never fit into her 'age' clothing until this past year. Which is good because it is very hard to explain to her why she can wear a shirt that is not the same size as her age!
I really wish we could have made your open house! And not just b/c of the yummy treats! ;)

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

That CRACKS ME UP that Melanie can sleep like that! My kids would NEVER do that... they ONLY sleep in their own beds (and don't do a great job there!).