Monday, October 5, 2009

Baby Shower Cake

Sunday I helped hostess a baby shower for a dear friend, "My Catholic" Amy, who is expecting her first baby at the end of the month. This gave me the perfect excuse to make this cake I had seen in my Wilton Course II book when I took the decorating class last year and have been itching to make ever since!




A close up of the daisies.
Royal icing is really fragile. Fortunately we survived the trip to the shower aside from a few broken petals.

I actually had to make the daisies twice. The petals on the first batch turned yellow for some reason, despite the fact that I didn't use any food coloring on them. The one on the right is from the first batch, the left is the second batch that I used on the cake. This picture really doesn't do justice to how much they discolored - the flash whited them out a bit. They would have looked really yellow up against the white frosting. My only guess is that for some reason the clear extract I had used for flavoring did something odd. I'm glad I did remake them though, because the second batch turned out MUCH better.

1 comment:

ArmyWife said...

W.O.W.!! that's a pretty extreme cake! good job! i bet everyone hated to cut it up.