Hopefully everyone out there had an enjoyable and relaxing Thanksgiving. Nothing out of the ordinary here, just the usual run from one family to the next to see everyone and of course lots of food to be eaten. Nice and relaxing, and Matt even got all day Thursday and Friday off work - it doesn't get much better than that!
Here are a couple things we did to be a bit more festive about the holiday:
These proved a bit more difficult to make than I had anticipated (I mean, who would have thought that a 19-month-old wouldn't sit still to have their hand painted multiple colors for more than 3 mintues?), so they were a limited edition item with only 7 successful ones made, instead of the planned 12. So for those of you that didn't get a card, I'm sorry. Please imagine opening this up to a little note from our family to yours. I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to mass produce something for Christmas yet retain the home-made charm so as to not have to go through the multi-night card making debacle these turned out to be. But it was fun, and Melanie will never be this size again, so I'm glad we did it in the end.
These are the sugar cookies my cousin Sara and I decorated using our new found talents after taking a cookie decorating class. We couldn't come up with a way to make leaves for the pumpkins that we liked, so they stayed pretty plain. The maple and oak leaves are painted with food coloring diluted with amaretto or clear vanilla extract (you just need something that will evaporate quickly, and water will start to break down the dried icing. The class instructor used vodka!). The turkeys looked the best, but the acorns were our favorites b/c the top part had chocolate flavored rimming sugar on it, which I was told at the store is a must for chocolate martinis. I'll have to take their word for it, at least for the next several months. Even then I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try my light-weight drinking abilities on a single martini. I guess I'll just have to find more cookie designs to use the flavored sugars on. They had about half a dozen different adult-beverage flavored colored sugars available, including cosmopolitan among others. Should be interesting when Christmas cookie time rolls around :)

1 comment:
very cute turkey cards! What a great idea!
I love the cookies! I'm still so jealous you got to do the decorationg class, one day...I never would have thought of vodka! Amazing. Oh and yes, stay away from chocolate martinies if you are like me and don't really handle alcohol well-they taste way too good and it would be easy to drink too much!
Post a Comment