Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Our Little Sweet Tooth

Matt's birthday was last Thursday and I still hadn't had a birthday dinner for him (we had gone out for both Matt's and his grandma's birthdays, but I hadn't actually made a meal to celebrate yet) so we had his family over to my parent's house on Monday night for a belated birthday dinner since my mom can't yet make it in and out of the house to come to a dinner at our place instead.

I was going to make him a cake with my newly learned craft, but seeing as Matt doesn't really like frosting anyway I opted to make a giant cookie and do minimal decorating (just enough so you could tell it was for his birthday). I had set the cookie on the dining room table after decorating it to get it out of the way and was straightening up in there while Melanie climbed on the chairs to amuse herself. I was cleaning away until I heard the tell-tale smack of Melanie's lips. I turned around and confirmed my suspicions - she was licking chocolate frosting off her fingers, with some of the evidence around the corners of her mouth. I instinctively said her name in a loud voice to get her to stop, to which she immediately started crying. I felt bad for startling her, but I couldn't help laughing at the situation all the same. I didn't try to fix where she had smudged the frosting since it wasn't that bad (just the Y, H, T and a couple of the stars) and it made for a fun story to relate at dessert time.The cookie cake of temptation

Melanie playing earlier in the day
She had eaten strawberries and gotten her shirt dirty so I had taken it off to spot treat it and then she wouldn't let me put her pants back on after changing her diaper, so she roamed around with more accessories than clothing for a while.

Melanie really feels she has to take something with her when she leaves the house, so I gave her this purse to carry her stuff in and to eliminate the multiple dropped items along the way. She tries to carry it on her shoulder, which is pretty funny (as depicted in the previous picture)
Here she's zapping my mom with her light-up Easter Egg. It's the little things...

1 comment:

Erin said...

Between being messy, taking clothes off to dress up and getting hot,my children end the day in less/different clothes than they started in.