Melanie turned 2 years old on the 11
th, but seeing as that was Holy Saturday and I spent all but about 5 hours of my day up at church, we opted to bump the festivities to this weekend. We kept it simple and did cake and ice cream with the family like we did
last year. I think this is the best approach because Melanie seems to be overwhelmed by large numbers of people at our house all at the same time (she even hid from her Uncle John, and he's usually one of her favorite people). She does OK when it's just one of our families, but when both are here plus the great-grandparents it gets to be a bit much for her and she tends to latch on to one adult she sees as "safe". Last year it was
Gramps, this year it was Grams. I find this kinda intriguing since she is around large groups at church as well as family gatherings at other people's houses, and the number of people doesn't seem to bother her then. It must just have to do with new people on her turf I guess...
Well, that's enough rambling about for the time being. Let's get down to the business of the pictures!

Working on decorating one of the cakes

You can kinda see it in this picture, but I used edible glitter on the cake.
Anything to make it a bit more
girly!
(And let's be honest, an excuse to go to the
cake store!)

After making the first cake I realized it was only supposed to feed 12 people and we had more family than that coming. To solve the problem I used this idea I saw in a recipe book that used a creatively cut and arranged 8-inch square pan and 8-inch round pan. I think it turned out pretty cute!

Melanie checking out a present with Grams -
a color/texture matching puzzle

Melanie insisted on holding that paper plate in one hand and the package of plastic spoons in the other while she was opening her gifts. My guess as to why would have been that she was trying to be sure she wasn't left out of the cake eating (she had been pointing at it and asking for it all day and even stole a chunk out of the ice cream cone cake before I had it assembled), but when it came time for that she didn't want any!

Claire comment bubble:
" *Sigh* When do
I get to open brightly colored packages and be the center of attention?"

After Melanie's newfound enjoyment of umbrellas on Easter I just had to get her one of her very own!

The hit of the party - a car from Grams and
Gramps!

This was the most animated she was all night. I'm pretty sure if she hadn't been given the car she would have sat in Stacey's lap all night and refused to move.

Driving Miss Melanie

She was not interested in blowing out her candles, and she really didn't care about cake any more at this point, either. I had to do all the work. She just wanted to play in her car. We had to bribe her with fruit snacks to even get her out of the car without screaming (you can kinda see her holding the package in this picture) and after eating her fruit snacks and ignoring the cake she was immediately back to playing with the car.

I'm pretty sure she would have stayed outside with the car all night if we would have allowed it. Grams, Auntie K and Uncle John all took turns at pushing her around (she hasn't figured out how to Fred
Flintstone it yet).

One pooped out little baby with her Grandma

After everyone left Matt was getting Melanie ready for bed and she just hung in his arms like a limp rag. It's not very often that she plays so hard that she does that!
So here's to our big 2 year old - may this year be as fun as the last!
4 comments:
Love the apron :) And seriously, those cakes... did you post those to make the rest of us feel utterly un-domesticated :) OR maybe I should be asking... "are you for hire?"! Too cute!
i love those cakes elizabeth!
one of them sorta look like the one i made hint hint! but wall of the pictures of everyone are amazing!
sara
looks like everything went well, good job on the cakes! i appreciate the thought bubble.. more pictures should have thought bubbles i think.
how delicious! (the cakes)
I'll have to take one of those classes one day. I'm sure they tasted as good (and probably better) as they looked!
congrats to you wonderful, beautiful 2 year old :)
Post a Comment