I used a merino wool/cashmere/silk blend wool by Debbie Bliss, which is what the pattern called for. I tried to find a less expensive option, but couldn't find one in the right color, so I ponied up the cash for the yarn so that Claire's Easter outfit would *hopefully* be what I had envisioned.
This was my first venture into knitting a garment, and I think it went OK. I definitely won't be entering this into any contests, that's for certain. First off, I forgot to put in the button hole and didn't realize it until several rows later (it's amazing how missing just one yarn over can cause such a hassle!). To bypass this problem I just sewed a button on top and then sewed snaps on the back side so it can still be fastened shut. Next, if you maximize the size of the picture you can see next to the right side seam where I wasn't paying attention and did my moss stitch pattern where it should have been stockinette. I didn't notice it until I was a few rows past it, and it was getting late and I didn't want to bother with fixing it. I'm no good at "un-knitting" things and taking rows out without having to basically start over, and I was rather pressed for time since it needed to be done by Easter Vigil and I started it just 10 days before that (and finished piecing it together a mere 2 hours before I had to leave for the vigil!), so I decided to leave my "signature" where it was. It fits Claire just fine and was nice and warm for her first Easter, which was unseasonable chilly. For pictures of the whole outfit check out the Easter post!

No comments:
Post a Comment