I mixed up the dough for these play dough cookies the night before so it would have time to chill. I initially tried to have the girls roll the dough into ropes for the lollipop cookies pictured with the recipe. While they could do it, they were having more fun just smashing the dough around so I got out my cookie cutters and let them smash it into the cutters to make their first initial and a couple different shapes of their choice.
(The M and butterfly were Melanie's, the J, giraffe, $ and 3 were Jillian's and the star was Claire's)
Once the cookies were shaped I let the girls pick out two types of sprinkles each to decorate their cookies with.
I especially like how Melanie is two-fisting the sprinkles. That's my daughter! We take our sugar decorations seriously ;)
Getting a little crazy with the sprinkles
I think I may have discovered how to decrease the inventory on my decorating sprinkles
The decorated cookies, ready to go in the oven
All done baking and ready to be eaten
I didn't want to spend the time making the lollipop cookies for the girls' after lunch snack so I just rolled the colors into a ball and smashed in onto the cookie sheet. Much easier and faster to do, and still pretty neat to look at.
Pretty yummy!
*Parents be warned, the crumbs from these cookies would not be very friendly towards your carpet*
Overall I like the idea of these cookies, but you could really use any roll-out sugar cookie recipe for the dough for this concept, and I like the recipe I currently use better than this one flavor-wise. Melanie is very excited about getting to take cookies like these for her birthday though, so I'd say the trial run was a good idea. Definitely Melanie approved!

3 comments:
OH,That does look like fun..when I first saw your post, I just thought they were using playdough with cookie cutters...real cookies...now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!
What a FUN idea!!!
I thought the same as Debi, and agree, real cookies are much better. :)
I love Melanie's twisted concentrated lips as she sprinkles, very cute.
Post a Comment