Monday, August 29, 2011

Late Summer Recap

In an effort to get caught up more quickly I'm bundling several smaller things into one post, along with a few random pictures I thought were cute. 

Amelia catching some Zs while the rest of the family swims
This crawling stuff really wears you out!
 Not sure if Amelia will share her sister Melanie's strange sleeping habits or not, only time will tell.
 Claire has really started to enjoy dancing with a bit of a dramatic flourish.
 She's also an eager helper in the kitchen.  Here she is peeling garlic for us while we made pickles.
 Melanie had her first dentist appointment and did a great job!
They went ahead and took x-rays to confirm that there were no baby incisors left hiding up in her gums, which there weren't.  The dentist thought he might have seen some little teeth buds for permanent incisors, but it's a bit early to say if the buds were for her incisors or canines.  Only time will tell.
 Melanie also went to summer camp for six weeks and has continued her thirst for learning.  I got her a few workbooks to keep her busy, but she breezes through them in one sitting, so there goes that idea for buying me some time to get other things done!  We've also started to work on reading and spelling a bit, but once again, we aren't spending nearly as much time on it as Melanie would like.  I think it's a combination of how difficult it can be to sit down with her to teach her the stuff in a focused manner with Claire and Amelia needing attention and the fact that I don't think I'm ready for her to be reading yet - she's only four!  I don't remember reading until kindergarten!  Someone needs to tell her to slow down because her momma is definitely not ready for this!  (Tangent over.)

We got to see our friends David and Laura who are living in North Carolina finishing up their residencies and their baby, Gabriella, who was born just five days after Amelia.

 Random picture of Matt, Claire and Amelia
(every once in a while we snap a picture of the girls with one of us to prove they did indeed have parents and weren't raised by picture crazy strangers)
Being the record breaking summer that it's been, it was entirely too hot out to go without shoes when going swimming at my parents house one day, and the girls had insisted on wearing their boots.  They made quite the interesting fashion statements on their way to the pool.
 This summer heat didn't bring much from the garden aside from the strawberries we got earlier in the season.  The peas dried up, the vidalia onions didn't get very big, it was the first year for the rhubarb so I wasn't supposed to harvest any of it, all but one of the cantaloups were discovered and eaten on by some animal before I got them harvested and last time I checked the carrots  they were super skinny so I just left them be.  We did get some corn though, which was fun to watch grow.  The girls thoroughly enjoyed eating it as well.

 "Mom, I'm stuck!"
 I just like this picture, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, so here it is.
Matt and I took Melanie to see her first movie at a movie theater this summer.  We took her to see Winnie the Pooh.  I really like the idea some of our friends have of taking a picture in front of the movie poster so the kids can remember what movie they got to see, but we went on the last day it was showing (it only showed for three weeks!) and they had already taken all of the movie posters down :(  Despite not getting the memory making picture I had hoped for, Melanie really enjoyed the movie.  A lot.  I had no idea Winnie the Pooh could be so hilarious, but apparently it was (according to our 4 year old at least).
And what would a trip to the movie theater be without popcorn and a giant Sprite (we shared them between the three of us).  She really liked those.

Well, with any luck (and cooperation from the kiddos) I'll get caught up on blogging before September gets here.  I make no promises though...

No comments: