Saturday, June 25, 2011

Father's Day

 Before church on Father's Day the girls gave Matt their card and gift
 After mass we had breakfast with Gramps and Uncle John.
Matt's mom and sister were out of town for a wedding that weekend, so we celebrated as a family the weekend before and we had the guys over for breakfast to celebrate on the actual day.  
Further proof that Matt has a better idea of what the men in his family like than I do, I was considering making an oven baked orange pecan french toast for breakfast, but Matt said if he was going to choose one thing to make his dad for breakfast it would be biscuits and gravy, so we went with that.  Matt made the gravy and cooked the bacon, I made the biscuits, waffles (for the girls and myself) and fruit salad.  There was no gravy left.  Lesson learned.  (I still plan to make that french toast for myself sometime though.)
 Claire requested I take her picture
 The spread
As my father-in-law said about breakfast (specifically the biscuits and gravy) "This is man food, no quiche allowed!"
 Matt picked up this genuine "figuring machine" at a garage sale for his dad to have in his office (he's a C.P.A.).  He thought it would make an interesting conversation piece.  His dad seemed to like it, it definitely was neat to see how different things are now compared to what was once seen as the latest and greatest thing.
 After breakfast we headed to my parents house for some surprise driveway graffiti.
My parents and grandma regularly go to 12:30pm mass, so we went over during that window to leave a message for my dad. 

 The girls were excited about it on the way over, but it was a very hot day out and before I had even finished the word "happy" Melanie was telling me it was too hot out and she wanted to go inside.
 We powered through despite the middle of the day temperatures and finished our decorating.
I think my dad really enjoyed his surprise.  He talked to the girls on the phone about it and told them he really liked how his driveway looked, which of course made the girls feel really good about it and forget how hot they had been.
The heat really took it out of Amelia, she passed out on the drive home 
(which is all of about half a mile!)
To cool off after our midday art project the girls went downstairs and watched Matt play his Father's Day gift from them, Mario Kart on the Wii.  
(They almost prefer watching Matt play his video games to watching movies, so I felt Mario Kart would be an appropriate gift from them.  It's also really funny to watch them try to play on their own.)
We went to my aunt and uncle's house in the afternoon where we had a great BBQ dinner.  Here Claire is cleaning the meat off of a rib with reckless abandon.  She thought that was some pretty great stuff.
It was nice getting to spend the afternoon with family and the girls had a great time playing. 

Another full day is on the books, but definitely full in the best sense of the word!

3 comments:

mary said...

i don't know where you get the energy for your marathon holidays, and this one seemed much more mild/less traveling than most of yours.

and i'd have to agree with matt. biscuits and gravy is definitely the first thing that comes to mind when i think of a manly breakfast. not that i ever make them for tim : (

Elizabeth said...

Mary, we had fewer locations to go to, but my aunt and uncle live an hour away, so more time in the car. It did guarantee a nap from all three girls on the way out, which was nice.

Also, I never make biscuits and gravy for Matt either. I don't even eat gravy. That's why he was put in charge of making it. I didn't want to have to taste it to see if it was coming out right, since I wouldn't know if it was or not anyway.

Debi said...

I can't believe how big Amelia is getting...what a little doll!!
Loved the homemade cards!!