Friday, April 22, 2011

Melanie's First Hair Cut

Melanie had her first hair cut a few days before her 4th birthday.  It wasn't much of a hair cut, just evening out a few "tails" she had in the back.  

She has what I refer to as a "naturally occurring mullet", meaning all the growth is taking place in the back and the front is still pretty short.  It's actually kind of the opposite of Claire's hair, who has long bangs that are getting in her eyes but still has pretty short hair in the back.  Then there's Amelia who came out with the most hair of any of my babies, only to lose most of the hair on the top of her head and rub a bald spot in the back.  Needless to say we have some interesting follicle growth patterns going on around here.  Sorry about that tangent.  Moving on.

 My Aunt Mary cut her hair (Hi Aunt Mary!) and I think Melanie thought it was pretty neat. 


Not much cutting to do, it amounted to about 2 inches on a couple of ringlets just to even things out and a little trimming to help it grow more evenly. It made her feel like a big girl just the same, and she doesn't have any crazy "tails" anymore, so we're all happy :)

I wonder how long it will be before she needs her second hair cut since it took us four years to get to this one, and there really wasn't much to cut.  
Any guesses?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

She looks like she enjoyed the haircut and I'm impressed that is her first haircut. My kids hair always seemed to take off growing after the first haircut. I'm amazed at how much Zane's hair has grown this past month.

Monica said...

Cute! Gemma's first haircut was just after her 2nd bday (mainly to tame the crazy rats-nest she was rocking) and she's had several since then, namely for the same reason. I had it chopped pretty short this winter due to the combination of static and her aversion to ponytails, but we're growing it out now.

Kolbe seems to be growing a mullet as well, and even though he is essentially bald, I actually think he will have his first haircut here before long just to clean the back up a bit. Silly hair!

Erika Marie said...

I agree with Michelle, it seemed after that first cut the hair starts to grow exponentially faster. Even if she doesn't 'need' a haircut maybe she'll want one sooner now.