Well, my fascination with fresh eggs had led me to look into the possibility of getting a few chickens. I was reading up on it a bit and had even signed up to go to a free seminar on Urban Chickens at one of the local garden centers. Matt had looked up some info online for me. The site backyardchickens.com has a great bit of information for those looking into starting out with some chickens. They even have lots of reader submitted coop designs (this one is my favorite - the guy really seemed to put a lot of thought into the design).
While I've been thinking about the whole chicken thing I've talked about it with my in-laws on Sundays while eating breakfast at their house after going to church, just as a conversation topic and to share the things we'd learned so far. Well, we chatted about it again two Sundays ago, I even called a few stores in town that we supposed to be selling chicks to find out what breeds they had on hand since I was trying to decide what would be the best fit for us. Well what do you know, my father-in-law calls me on Monday night saying "Guess what we just bought? Chicks!" Six to be exact. Talk about surprised! I knew Gordon was interested, but I definitely wasn't expecting him to jump on the band wagon so quickly! It shouldn't surprise me that much I suppose, he did grow up on a farm where they had truly fresh fried chicken for dinner (as in he would go kill a few chickens for his mom in the afternoon and they'd then have chicken for dinner that night)
Tuesday evening we took the girls over to meet the fluffy little babies.
Melanie really liked the chicks from the get go, willingly holding one as soon as we got there.
It promptly poo'd on her shoe.
Claire was a bit more stand-off-ish, but the second night we went to see them she was much more excited about them
She really wanted to hold one like Melanie had been doing
She got one! By the head no less!
We're still working on the concept of being gentle with the chicks. Gentle to her and gentle to them are two different things.
Also, you're not going crazy. Between pictures we switched the chicks from a box to the tank they're in now. These pictures were taken last week (the last couple days of March) and the chicks are already getting big for the tank. Time to find yet another containment option!
On another note, I think I've neglected to mention this until now, but I really don't like birds. At all. I find them icky and creepy. Their feet give the the heebie jeebies. The thought of their pecky little beaks makes my skin crawl. Just not a fan of birds as a whole.
Between my dislike of eating eggs and my aversion to birds I sound like the perfect candidate for having chickens, don't I? And this whole thing was my idea, too.
Despite all this, I am trying to overcome the bird-induced creepy crawlies. I even picked up one of the chicks on our second visit. It may or may not have taken me quite a while to do it, but I did in fact do it.
And then promptly washed my hands.
*Enjoying* my first time holding a chick
"See? I can do this! Really I can!"
(Now can I put the chick down? Please?)
To add another stride in my journey towards being at peace with our feathered little friends I took the girls to see the chicks again a couple days ago. Matt stayed home with Amelia, Stacey wasn't home and Gordon was resting, so when the girls wanted to pet them I "put on my big girl pants" and picked up the chicks yet again. I may have followed the chicks around their tank with my hand for longer than was necessary before actually picking one up, but I did do it. Twice!
I'm making progress
(I also can't let my girls know I'm icked out by birds. That's knowledge they could use against me later in life, and I'm not OK with that.)
We're still working on the concept of being gentle with the chicks. Gentle to her and gentle to them are two different things.
Also, you're not going crazy. Between pictures we switched the chicks from a box to the tank they're in now. These pictures were taken last week (the last couple days of March) and the chicks are already getting big for the tank. Time to find yet another containment option!
On another note, I think I've neglected to mention this until now, but I really don't like birds. At all. I find them icky and creepy. Their feet give the the heebie jeebies. The thought of their pecky little beaks makes my skin crawl. Just not a fan of birds as a whole.
Between my dislike of eating eggs and my aversion to birds I sound like the perfect candidate for having chickens, don't I? And this whole thing was my idea, too.
Despite all this, I am trying to overcome the bird-induced creepy crawlies. I even picked up one of the chicks on our second visit. It may or may not have taken me quite a while to do it, but I did in fact do it.
And then promptly washed my hands.
*Enjoying* my first time holding a chick
"See? I can do this! Really I can!"
(Now can I put the chick down? Please?)
To add another stride in my journey towards being at peace with our feathered little friends I took the girls to see the chicks again a couple days ago. Matt stayed home with Amelia, Stacey wasn't home and Gordon was resting, so when the girls wanted to pet them I "put on my big girl pants" and picked up the chicks yet again. I may have followed the chicks around their tank with my hand for longer than was necessary before actually picking one up, but I did do it. Twice!
I'm making progress
(I also can't let my girls know I'm icked out by birds. That's knowledge they could use against me later in life, and I'm not OK with that.)

3 comments:
heheheh... good job elizabeth! i'm proud of you, way to overcome (or at least start to overcome) your fears! :D those chicks are super cute, i'd be all over that. i'm glad that gordon and stacey are so accomodating, i'm not a bit suprised that they jumped in with both feet. woo hoo!
too funny. so are they going to keep the chickens at their house or are you going to eventually bring them home?
Ha! Your face in the last couple of pictures cracked.me.up.
Post a Comment