Friday, November 5, 2010

Halloween 2010

Woo hoo!  I'm posting within a week of an event happening!  Go me!

Ok, enough patting myself on the back.  On to the pictures (Which is why you're really here anyway, right?  Kinda like when you show up to family gatherings and everyone says "Hi!  Oh don't you look so cute today!  Come here and give me a hug!" and reaches out to pick up the kids but poor ol' mom and dad arrive without much more than a glimpse in their general direction.  Yup.  I know how it is and I'm at peace with it.)  Moving on.


Elmo and Fancy Nancy


We try to make the girls' costumes reflect something they're interested in (once they're old enough, that is).  For Melanie's 2nd Halloween she was a bunny since she really liked to talk about bunnies going "Bop! Bop!" (hop! hop!) and trying to hop like a bunny.
Last year Melanie really liked going to her Grams and Gramps ranch to see the cows and play outside, so she was a farmer and Claire was a sunflower.
This year Melanie has really enjoyed the Fancy Nancy books, and since we already had quite a bit of dress-up clothes it was an easy costume to pull off.  Claire really enjoys Sesame Street, and especially Elmo.  When we decided on this costume she would regularly go around singing "La la la! Elmo!" much like "Elmo's Song".
Decked out as Fancy Nancy, rings and all!
Very posh indeed!
When Melanie was putting on her sunglasses and necklaces Claire got a little jealous so she ended up more of a "Fancy Elmo" than just regular Elmo.  Whatever works, right?
I used this pattern for Claire's hat.  It was really easy to do (once I started making the right size, that is!)
We did our standard Halloween run-around, taking the girls to show off their costumes to family during the afternoon.  We were able to simplify a bit this year by having my sisters both at my parents house and having Matt's brother and sister over for dinner when they were done working, effectively cutting three extra stops out of the day.  We had the camera with us at all our stops, but that doesn't mean I remembered to use it :(  Here are the few pictures I remembered to snap while we were out visiting.

With G.G. Palmer
With Granny Em
With Nana
With Pa and Grandma

Claire taking inventory of all her loot.

The girls visited five houses for relatives and two neighbors, which seemed to be a very realistic amount for them to handle.  After dinner they got to sit on the front porch and hand out candy with me, which I honestly think they were more excited about than the actual trick-or-treating itself! 

Claire enjoying a Tootsie Roll in between trick-or-treaters

Like I said, they were very excited about handing out candy (even if Claire wasn't excited about having her picture taken)
Carefully selecting the candy they will give to the next batch of kids

Hope you all had a safe and happy Halloween!

4 comments:

ArmyWife said...

in the picture of Claire by herself in front of the house she WAY looks like your cousin Sarah.
super cute all around - fancy nancy is pretty awesome.

Monica said...

Sweet, LOVE the Elmo. Gemma also the past two years has been very excited about passing treats out. Last year she even took a bite out of each piece of candy (thru the wrapper) before she put it in the kids' bags. Yeah. Cute. Or something.

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

Very cute Elizabeth! I almost did Fancy Nancy for Emily - such a cute idea! And the Elmo hat is precious! Oh, and I love the new blog look and the header picture of the girls (I think we have those same outfits... I adored that whole entire owl line!) :)

Erika Marie said...

love it! Perfect costumes for each one!