A quick note about the current music selections.
Growing up I was in love with the Beach Boys. I didn't understand the concept that they were already older than they looked on the pictures that came with the cassette tapes I had, and that they would continue to get older. I was going to grow up and marry a Beach Boy.
I would go outside, armed with our brown Fisher Price cassette player and my beloved Beach Boys tapes, and skate with a neighbor girl in the court next to our house, music blaring as loud as that little plastic box would go. My mom still likes to remind me of my love for Beach Boys music.
When the time came to choose our "first dance" song, Matt and I didn't want to use what was commonly accepted as "our song". Tradition schmadition. If you and your future spouse's song was "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith I'm pretty darn sure you wouldn't want to dance to it at your wedding either.
So we set to work trying to think of the song we would dance to for the first time as man and wife. My first suggestion? "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys. I was TOTALLY serious about dancing to this song. So what if it was a bit more up tempo? We would just do our standard white man shuffle no matter what song was playing, so why not have a fun song to dance to? Matt thought it would be funny, but unfortunately his concern for what the more traditional older wedding guests would think of us using such an unconventional song choice won him over, and he talked me out of it. We settled on the Michael Buble' song "You and I" which I do really like, but if I were going to change just one thing about my wedding and reception it would be that we would dance to my beloved Beach Boys.
So there you have it. A tiny peek into my silly past and an explanation of the music you are now hearing (assuming your speakers are on and turned up, that is). You may now proceed to enjoy laughing at my expense. It's OK, I do it quite often.
My July Bible Project
3 years ago


2 comments:
OMgoodness, my siblings and cousins and I totally LOVED the Beach Boys growing up. There's a certain video floating around out there of "California Girls"... And John Denver too. Big time!!!! I still get sentimental when I hear something of his. What a fun quirky thing to have in common! I enjoyed this post (and I owned that tape recorder also).
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
oh how i love you, elizabeth. i am not a hue beach boys fan, but i think of you every time i hear them anyway.
Post a Comment