For the 4th of July this year I already had a top for Claire and was planning on having Amelia wear the outfit I sewed for Claire when she was a baby. I realized on the 2nd that I didn't have anything for Melanie to wear to the family's yearly 4th of July celebration at the ranch, so I impulse bought some patriotic fabric and used this pattern to make a top for her. I'm just OK with how it turned out. I used the width of a size 3 and the length of a size 5, and it was still way too big around and shorter than I would like (it barely hit the top of her shorts).
I'd really like to know where the kids are that they take these measurements off of for these patterns, because my kids are both short and skinny, and even after taking their measurements I still have to significantly make adjustments despite what the pattern says should fit them. I fiddled with making a ruffle to put on the bottom for some added length, but decided it wasn't that big of a deal for a shirt she would wear twice and just wasn't worth my time. I had also bought red ribbon to use for the shoulder straps, but upon getting it home discovered that it was too wide for what I needed. As a result I had to improvise the braided straps I ended up doing. In retrospect I think I would have liked the braided straps more if I had ironed them after braiding them to give them a crisper look instead of the semi-rounded shape they took on, but whatever. She looked cute for the day at the ranch and again on the 4th, so the top fulfilled its purpose.
I'd really like to know where the kids are that they take these measurements off of for these patterns, because my kids are both short and skinny, and even after taking their measurements I still have to significantly make adjustments despite what the pattern says should fit them. I fiddled with making a ruffle to put on the bottom for some added length, but decided it wasn't that big of a deal for a shirt she would wear twice and just wasn't worth my time. I had also bought red ribbon to use for the shoulder straps, but upon getting it home discovered that it was too wide for what I needed. As a result I had to improvise the braided straps I ended up doing. In retrospect I think I would have liked the braided straps more if I had ironed them after braiding them to give them a crisper look instead of the semi-rounded shape they took on, but whatever. She looked cute for the day at the ranch and again on the 4th, so the top fulfilled its purpose.

1 comment:
it's very cute, even if it didn't fit quite right i like it.
Post a Comment