Friday, April 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Melanie!

Today Melanie turned one. My, what a year! I knew that parenthood would bring us many blessings and immense happiness, and I knew it would be life changing. Nevertheless, looking back at the past year I am still in awe of the wonders our little girl has brought into our lives. At the hospital
God in his infinite wisdom blessed us with our little Melanie Marie, and right from the start it was made clear that we, or more accurately I, was not in charge anymore. But if waiting until 10 days after my due date is the biggest concession I have to make, I think I can handle it.

Proud new daddy

I feel so blessed to have been chosen to watch Melanie grow and learn, and to help nurture her as she gets older and prepares to enter the world. And I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful husband to be the father of my child and to help me raise her to be capable of achieving all the dreams we have for her, but brave enough to come up with and pursue dreams of her own.

Sweet baby

This morning, as I was nursing her just after midnight, I thought about the last year and all I could do was smile. I sang "Happy Birthday" to Melanie very quietly and just sat there rocking her, my heart so full. As I put her back in her crib and went back to my room I thanked God for the little blessing that he had entrusted to us. She truly is the gift we hoped for, and so much more!

Our happy 1-year old

While this year has gone fast, I know I will feel the same way about every year hear after. Where has the time gone? How did she grow up so fast? I'm certain I will be forced to use the phrase "It seems like only yesterday..." more often than I'd like to think I will. But in the meantime I hope to be able to make the most of the time we have with our little one while she's still little. To hang on to the happy moments and not dwell on the more challenging ones. To smile at her, to make her laugh. To truly cherish Melanie every day. But above all, to make her feel loved.


Happy Birthday Melanie!

2 comments:

ArmyWife said...

Horay! Just as you couldn't have asked for a better blessing, Melanie couldn't have better parents. I'm so happy for you and Matt and the wonderful family you have created. I truly wish you all many many more such beautiful days so full of blessings!

Erika Marie said...

Happy be-lared bday Melanie! You are a true joy & light in our life as well! :)