Saturday, September 29, 2012

Recent Cakes


 Baptism cake for a friend's son
 
 Baptism cake for another friend's daughter
The image in the middle of the cake is of the back of the Miraculous Medal, which was given to St. Catherine Laboure', their daughter's namesake.  This site has a good explanation of the symbolism behind the images on the medal.
 I really liked the ruffly top layer with the flowers peeking out underneath.  I was really happy with how this cake turned out!
 Cupcakes for the baptism
 80th birthday cake for a friend's grandma's birthday party
Have I mentioned how much I like gumpaste and fondant roses? 
I recently bought a kit for making the various other sugar flowers, and I'm excited to get some time to sit down and play around with it a bit.   

 Extra sheet cakes for the party.
I hadn't used the reverse shell border since I learned it in class 3+ years ago, but it was a fun alternative to what I normally do.

 Cupcakes for the Halloween demo at Michael's.  
I don't think I've ever had so many people tell me what I was doing was "cute" during a demo, and these cupcakes were covered in bugs!  I wonder what that says about my normal decorating?

Oh, and as a side note, I had a male customer come up to me and say "Hey, I'll eat the one with the bug on it for you!"  Clever fellow ;)  There were actually several men shopping with their wifes that tried to deliver funny comments to me while I was decorating, and I had quite a few more people stop to watch what I was doing this time, too.  I guess I need to do more creepy/funky designs in the future.

2 comments:

mary said...

catherine's cake was amazing! i love the drape of the top fondant-it's like a refined frilly. i can't get over how you captured the detail of the miraculous medal and the flowers are so cute. well done!

luke's cake was great too, but we all know girl stuff is prettier : )

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Mary! I was very please with that cake too. I enjoy smaller cakes simply b/c it's easier to make them "pretty". Sheet cakes are nice for a crowd, but I'd actually rather do a small cake and then make up the difference in cupcakes so I can make a pretty cake :)