We kept the gifts simple, but in the future I think we may try to go with getting each of them just three gifts from St. Nick. The Wise Men gave Jesus three gifts, so why not use the same number for us as well? Keeps things simple and the kids expectations realistic. And when you add in all the stuff other people want to get for them (assuming I don't poo-poo their ideas - hi Mom!), I just don't see how we can realistically keep up that pace!
We planned on going to 9:00am mass, so we got the girls up about 30 minutes earlier than usual, which was bright and early at 7:50am, to see what St. Nick had brought.
We got Melanie up and told her St. Nick had come while she was sleeping and left some presents for her. It was kinda cute to watch her come down the stairs, obviously not knowing what to expect.
Still not quite awake.
Starting to wake up and get excited about some new books
Check out my slipper boots!
(She really likes these and has asked to wear them out of the house. If only they had hard soles...)
Melanie giving Claire one of her presents from St. Nick while wearing her new hat and mittens.
Claire also really enjoyed the book. It played "Silent Night", and musical toys/books always seem to be a hit with our girls.
A spontaneous "I love you dad!" and hug - it's nice to get those every once in a while without having to ask for it :)
And a couple pictures in front of the tree before it's time to get ready for the real celebration - Mass!

1 comment:
I enjoyed this post! The santa thing is kind of a topic that's been on my mind a lot lately, too. I think I saw your comment on Mary A.'s blog. Lots of food for thought, for sure.
And what a nice array of presents. I like the fact that you didn't get your kids 40 million toys. I mean, really, how many toys does one household need? We got strictly books this year for G's bday (and my old doll crib). The rest of the presents/toys she got we actually put up in her closet and figured we'd save them for a rainy day...she already had so many nice new things from Christmas it just seemed overwhelming.
CHEERS!
Post a Comment