Saturday, July 28, 2012

Melanie turned 5! (almost 4 months ago...)

Thursday I took Melanie in for kindergarten registration, so what more appropriate way to commemorate my firstborn taking another step towards becoming a big girl than to post about her birthday.  That happened in April.  Yup.  "World's Timeliest Blogger" right here folks.

 The requested Fancy Nancy "Bonjour Butterfly" cake.
Not my favorite cake ever, but Melanie was really happy with it, and that's what really matters.
I will probably not be so ambitious next time.  Comparing a pencil drawing to a buttercream frosting rendition can be a bit disheartening for me (I'm setting unrealistic standards, I know.  They're my standards though, and I don't expect anybody else to live up to them, so let me be disappointed in Nancy's quasi-scary looking face and old lady flabby looking arms, OK?)
 Melanie and Aunt Amber
(I thought this was such a good picture of Amber I just had to share it :) )
 Giving a demonstration of how to use her gift
 With GeGe
 Opening her sister present that Claire picked out. 
 It was a kite, which made her so excited it resulted in this tackle-hug for Claire.
(We still haven't flown the kite.  Either too windy or no wind at all.  Hopefully this fall.)
 The look on her face when Matt brought in her gift from us
 A big girl bike!

 She wanted to pick out and position the candles herself.
 FIVE!

 Nancy's face was obviously up to Melanie's standards, because that was the piece of cake she requested.
 Someone sneaking cake and ice cream to Amelia (Katie maybe?)
 Showing off her Rapunzel dress.
 Claire had to go put on the dress-up dress she got for Christmas so they could be dressed up together.
 After Melanie enjoyed the Nerf guns the Stockemer men got for Christmas, Aunt Katie and (then almost) Uncle Matt decided she needed one of her own.

 Claire has a bit of practicing to do to get her hold down just right.
 Lovingly brushing her Rapunzel doll's hair.  Brushing hair is something us curly haired girls dream about.  Trust me.
 Post-party hula hoop practice
First spin on her new bike!
Wrapping up her birthday celebration was a special "date" with her Aunt Laura.  Instead of giving Melanie more toys, my sister gave a shirt and the promise of a special "date" for just the two of them to the park and out for frozen yogurt afterwards.  Melanie was so excited about this, and when the day finally arrived she insisted on wearing the shirt Laura gave her for her birthday on their special outing.  Such a great gift!  I think creating memories type gifts are going to be a highly requested and suggested gift in the future :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! So happy to see you posting again :) Some of those pictures made me squeal with delight, they were so cute. I love the tackle hug one, and Melanie squinting as she pointed the Nerf gun, but my favorite was the girls in their dress-up clothes. Too adorable for words. Their sisterly love makes me want to have another baby girl. Stat. Thanks for sharing!

Jackie said...

There are too many cute pictures in this post. Your girls in those dresses!! You do such a lovely job making the birthday party's family fun.
And Fancy Nancy's arms do not look flabby.

Erika Marie said...

Yay, happy birthday (4 months ago)!
She's growing up! I think you and she will love this first year with Kindergarten; it's alot of fun watching them learn and grow.