Saturday, January 24, 2009

Nesting or Just Feeling Productive?

Overall recently I've been pretty tired and unmotivated to do anything more than what needs to be done on a daily basis. I'm very content to sit and read the paper or watch Melanie play, I've just had no urge to do anything productive. But Thursday came around and I finished knitting a hat, finished sewing a diaper bag and made pretzels from scratch. Then today I cleaned out and organized four sets of cabinets in my kitchen as well as moved stuff onto some shelves that Matt built in the storage room in the basement and have started packing Claire's hospital bag, all after going to my cousins basketball game and spending a few hours at my parents house. Not too sure if this is what nesting is like or if I've just gotten over a lazy slump I've been in... only time will tell I suppose.

The diaper bag I just made using a pattern from a book I got for Christmas
Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones

It wasn't difficult, just time consuming. Lots of interfacing and fusible fleece to iron on to stuff, then lots of piecing together. The pattern called for a divider in the main compartment, but I didn't want it so I didn't bother - one of the perks of making it yourself!

I've been wanting to make pretzels at home for a while, so when I came across the recipe for Soft Buttery Pretzels on Allrecipes.com I decided to give it a whirl. The only difficulty I had was my own fault due to forgetting to turn the dough to coat it with oil before letting it rise in the bowl, so the top of the dough formed a bit of a skin on it which made them a bit more challenging to roll out, but still very tasty. Matt enjoyed them as well, so I'm sure I'll make them again some time and experiment with different toppings or add ins - maybe I'll be able to duplicate the Parmesan Herb one that Auntie Anne's discontinued years ago and I've been craving ever since!

I just couldn't resist sharing this cute picture of my little girl and her daddy - being able to see love like this in my life daily truly is a blessing!

1 comment:

mary said...

nice diaper bag. i love amy butler fabrics. and the pretzels-very tempting.