Last year we had a large accordion gate/playpen encircling the fireplace and Christmas tree to protect them from the mobile 8-month old that was cruising around any and all things that stood still. This year I decided I didn't like how cluttered it made the living room feel, and Melanie is old enough to start learning that some things are off limits, so we took it down before Christmas. I set one of my nativity sets up on the hearth of the fireplace since that seemed to be the best place for it. With nothing to protect the nativity set, Melanie was instantly drawn to it (with it having animals and all - I think the sheep were the initial draw) and spent much of December rearranging who sat next to what animal and vice versa, but overall playing very nicely with it for a 20 month old. Mostly she just liked carrying them around with her. More than once we couldn't leave the house without Baby Jesus or Joseph in tow (we seldom leave the house empty-handed these days) I did however see a Fisher Price Little People nativity set in a catalog and we may be requesting one of those for next year, since there were a few minor injuries that took place (a camel lost his head, Joseph lost a hand and baby Jesus was detached from the manger) but nothing a little super glue couldn't fix.
Here are a few pictures of Melanie enjoying the nativity set
She seemed to group like-shaped items together. The shepherd and Mary were kept together since they are both kneeling, and the cow and donkey often went together since they're both lying down.

2 comments:
Awww, she is so cute! What blue eyes! How are you doing these days- isn't "baby time" closing in? Hope your in utero one is behaving herself!
I would highly recommend the Fisher Price Nativities, they are a wonderful little tool for teaching wee-ones about Jesus' birth with a hands' on "playing" experience.
Post a Comment