Homemade egg noodles from scratch is a Greenlee tradition at Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I was a kid my Great-Grandma Gebhardt would make them for those special meals, but was rather secretive about the recipe and technique. They were always magically yellow, which bewildered my mom when she married into the family since she saw the raw noodles and knew they weren't yellow to begin with, and the chicken broth they were cooked in wasn't yellow either (grandma was hiding a bottle of yellow food coloring in her apron pocket she later found out).
Well Great-Grandma passed away when I was a pre-teen, and a couple years ago I was talking about the noodles and Matt's Grandma Palmer offered to show me how she made her egg noodles, an offer I eagerly took her up on.
When word got out to the family that I had learned the secrets of homemade egg noodles, I was appointed the noodle-maker for the holiday meals. My mom had made noodles for a few of the in between years, but her recipe was one she found actually written down in a cookbook, and everybody knows that if something is actually written down for mass publication that it just isn't as good as the stuff you just know how to make because a family member taught you (even though I thought mom's tasted just fine), so they had switched to using the frozen Reames noodles, which are more convenient but I still don't particularly care for (too thick for my taste).
I made noodles for Thanksgiving since we would be spending it with dad's side of the family, but informed dad that I wouldn't be making them for Christmas since they aren't a tradition with mom's side of the family. This made him a bit sad, since he really likes his egg noodles. So as a surprise I made a smaller batch for his birthday dinner (not the usual full dozen eggs worth that I make for the holidays). He was very happy, and there were even some leftovers, so he got to enjoy them for a few days afterwards.
Since noodle making is a dying art (if you want to call it that) I figured I'd share my knowledge with anyone that may happen to actually read this (so basically Michelle, I would guess :) )
Beat together by hand 2 eggs, 1/2 eggshell of water (2 tbs. maybe? I've never tried to put an actual measurement on it) and a bit of salt
(Matt's grandma uses 1/8 tsp., but I usually just shake in a tiny bit. You'll get
more salt from the chicken broth when you cook them)
Incorporate as much flour into the egg mixture as you can with your fork. The dough may be sticky still, but you won't be able to mix any more in without using your hands.
Divide dough in half and knead in as much flour as you can to form a dough that is no longer sticky-firm but not tough - and can be rolled out on a well floured surface. Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Repeat with 2nd half of dough.
Put a generous amount of flour on the dough disks and roll the flattened dough jellyroll style. If you don't put enough flour on the dough it may be difficult to unroll later on. (This is 6 eggs worth of noodles)
Slice the rolls with a sharp knife using a rocking motion so you don't stretch out the dough, making slices to desired width (mine are usually between 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide)
Unroll the sliced noodles (this is a good place for kids or spouses to help out!)
Toss the unrolled noodles with flour to prevent the cut sides from sticking and spread them out into basically a single layer. Allow noodles to rest and dry out a bit on the counter, covered in a clean tea towel.
You can make these noodles in the morning and use them that evening for chicken and noodles, or once stiff to the touch they can be bagged up in a freezer bag and frozen for use at a later date. If you want to use them in soup don't keep the tossing flour in the bag with the noodles, if you want them to be in a thicker sauce keep the flour for when you cook the noodles.
Matt's grandma doesn't do the jellyroll part of the process, she just leaves the rolled out dough to dry and then slices her noodles from that. I don't have good luck with cutting my noodles from the flat dry dough - I tend to crack the noodles and end up with lots of short little pieces (I'm sure it's just a mental block I have since I was raised doing the jellyroll technique ) plus I think the tossing of the noodles when they're moist gives them more shape for later on - it all comes down to personal preference and if the extra steps are worth it to you.
I don't recommend making more than 2 eggs worth at a time since you're mixing everything by hand and it gets hard to incorporate the flour into a larger number of eggs. I just do 2 eggs worth at a time, let the bowl soak while I knead and roll, and then clean it out for the next batch.

3 comments:
apparently you're stuck doing the noodles for Christmas dinner too... looks good!
Nope - these pictures are of the noodles I made for dad's birthday dinner. Assuming I don't start feeling really guilty in the next few days I will remain noodle-free for this particular holiday.
Yum, you made me drool a little :) I will have to try it!
Post a Comment