Sunday, January 27, 2008

The beginning of the updates...

Ok, so I started this blog back in November, but I was less than faithful about updating, as is witnessed by the single lonely prior post. But it's a new year, so we'll see if I'm more successful at this blogging stuff this time around. We'll start by playing catch-up for the last month or so, since lots has happened.

This Christmas was my first Christmas not working retail since I was 16 - so nine of my 25 Christmases were spent truly caught up in the shopping frenzy that the holiday has unfortunately become. I must say that I truly enjoyed my first Christmas not working. It was refreshing to not feel that I had to use my only day off to run around and get things done. And to get to share that time with our daughter was even more special. While I do miss the people I worked with, I can honestly say that I don't miss work itself one bit. I am so fortunate to have a husband that wants me to stay home to raise our children. The immensity of that gift became so much more evident this Christmas season as I was able to see family whenever I wanted, not having to feel guilty for leaving gatherings early or late because I had to run off to work or take care of something at the store. So I must say that the best gift I had this year was the gift of really getting to celebrate Christmas in the more relaxed, family oriented way it was intended. So thank you to Matt for this opportunity to experience Christmas in a whole new way (for me at least).


With all that said, here are some pictures of Melanie experiencing her first Christmas Eve/Day.

Sleepy baby, and we haven't even had Christmas Eve dinner yet!

Melanie debating whether or not to humor us by opening one of her gifts. Even Uncle John's creative wrapping efforts, with the monkey tail on the outside of the gift, were not enticing enough to get Melanie to tear off the paper. Instead, she crawled behind the chair to where her toy basket is kept and played with the toys she knew were there.

Grins and giggles with Auntie K.





"Scaring" Uncle John with dad.



I like the view from up here!



Silly bow faced baby on Christmas day. This bow from one of dad's gifts was probably her favorite item of the day.



Sitting on my present, chewing my bow, grinning for the camera. It doesn't get much better than this!


Family Photo Opp

2 comments:

ArmyWife said...

horay for the update! those are great pictures! what was in the huge present?

Elizabeth said...

The big gift was a wagon from my grandparents, so come spring we'll be strolling all over the place!