Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Basement

As most of you probably know, Matt has been working on finishing a room in the basement so we'll have a computer/sewing room (the computer currently resides in the kitchen, which is kinda starting to drive me nuts!) He has put in all the electrical outlets and two phone jacks, as well as installed additional lighting. He finished most of the framing in the fall, and then for Christmas he got me drywall (what more could a girl ask for?) which he has since completed hanging, with some assistance from his brother, John.

Here are some pictures of the work-in-progress.



Framing out the closet

The drywall starts to go up!
Let the mudding begin!



Needless to say, I'm very excited about the progress, but starting to get antsy to have my kitchen back to being just a kitchen, as well as having a permanent place to keep my sewing machine set up. One of the reasons for wanting the computer out of the kitchen in pictured below.
As with other electronic/technological devices, Melanie is fascinated by the printer. She pushes buttons, plays with the paper, opens the scanner lid, climbs on it, and recently has started to play with the abundance of cords that come out of it and the computer (I was hoping we could skip that particular toddler rite of passage) - more than once has she succeeded in unplugging a cord that affects the color of the computer monitor, resulting in an interesting purple hue taking over the screen. I've even had to put an appliance latch on the scanner because I was worried she would slam her hand in it one of these days. So while I am truly thankful for the progress that has been made in the basement, I am anxiously awaiting the day when I don't have to rush across the room to stop Melanie's growing technology fascination from making an expensive/painful turn for the worse.